castle of Oliveto Citra

Oliveto Citra is on the right side of Sele River. Its name comes from the Latin olivetum, that is olive grove, the most common plant on its territory. Citra comes from the name of the lord who governed it. The first inhabitants came to Oliveto during Iron Age, after that Samnites, Etrurians, finds from the Oliveto Citra museumGreeks, Lucani and Romans arrived. Because of the many Saracen invasions around 1000 a.C., the inhabitants went to live around the castle. Its gate has been famous since 24th May 1985 (Saint Macario Abate, the Patron, feast). On that day some people said to have seen our Lady. Macedonio di Ruggiano family ruled until 1799, when the Neapolitan Republic was founded. That year in the main square of Oliveto there was the construction of the Freedom Tree.

Oliveto Citra was almost destroyed by the earthquake that took place in Campania on 23rd November 1980. It destroyed the Franciscan Monastery dedicated to Santa Maria del Paradiso built in XVI century. Only a stone cross remains.

Oliveto has some well equipped areas: among them, Fontana del Volpacchio and Pino Canali. The visit to the Archaeological museum “Museo Archeologico Lucano dell’Alta Valle del Sele” is very interesting.

 

 

History of Oliveto Citra

Its name comes from the Latin olivetum, that is olive grove, the most common plant on its territory. Citra comes from the name of the lord who governed it.

The first inhabitants came to Oliveto during Iron Age, after that Samnites, Etrurians, Greeks, Lucani and Romans arrived. Because of the many Saracen invasions around 1000 a.C., the inhabitants went to live around the castle. Its gate has been famous since 24th May 1985 (Saint Macario Abate, the Patron, feast).

In 1167 Oliveto became a feud of Guglielmo de Tolle. It belonged to Conza County that Carlo d’Angiò, in 1284, divided in Principatus a Serris Montorii Citra and Pricipatus Ulteriore (maybe the name Citra comes from that period). Macedonio di Ruggiano family ruled until 1799, when the Neapolitan Republic was founded. That year in the main square of Oliveto there was the construction of the Freedom Tree.

 

 

MONUMENTS AND NATURAL BEAUTIES

  •  Macedonio Castle ruins, XII century, with a bell tower
  •  Roman waterworks
  •  Santa Maria della Misericordia Church, its façade is Baroque and on the ceiling there are interesting paintings
  •  Our Lady of Grace Church built in XV century
  •  Madonna della Consolazione Church
  •  Shrine, monument with a star shape made according to “Our Lady's desires” on May, the 24th 1985
  •  “Museo Archeologico Lucano dell’Alta Valle del Sele”, archaeological museum
  •  Equipped areas, Fontana del Volpacchio and Pino Canali
  •  

    Photo of Oliveto Citra

     

    Weather forecast